Sunday, 9 February 2014

Module 1 Activity 2


In Module 1 Activity 2, I read about the Information Processing Approaches where the primary focus is on memory (the storage and retrieval of information).

The information processing approach is based on a number of assumptions, including:
(1)  Information made available by the environment is processed by a series of processing systems (e.g. attention, perception, short-term memory);
(2)  These processing systems transform or alter the information in systematic ways;
(3)  The aim of research is to specify the processes and structures that underlie cognitive performance;
(4)  Information processing in humans resembles that in computers.

As Educators, we should be very interested in the study of how our students learn. This is because how one learns, acquires new information, and retains previous information guides selection of long-term learning objectives and methods of effective instruction.

From the readings I was reminded of how similar our brains are to the Central Processing Unit (CPU) of the computer. It allows us to take in so much information and stores it for a short time (STM) or a long time (LTM). Learners often resort to rote learning (like reading a chapter or section repeatedly so as to memorise it), simple organizational schemes (like outlining), and various devices (like marking important ideas). These encoding techniques are effective for certain types of learning, but are not helpful when the nature of the task changes. This is because learners are not taught how to effectively use their cognitive abilities. 

What stood out?
·         Learners need to learn how to learn, they need to become aware of their own cognitive processes.
·         The way in which The Information Processing Model explains the flow of information through various components and processes
·         Ways to help learners learn by developing Strategies for effective learning and tactics for remembering information and solving problems
·         How the processing of information can be assisted and how to examine the importance of making links to learners’ prior knowledge.
The readings were very interesting and as a teacher, I am reminded of how careful I have to be when designing activities that cater to the individual needs of my students by giving them every opportunity to encode the information properly so that it can be stored in their long-term memory.

FOR THE SELF ACTIVITY 1
1.    I was able to complete task 1 by drawing two branches on the circle with 5 in the middle. I was able to do this because I use these coins daily, the patterns are stored in my long term memory and I have previous know because it’s the same branch pattern for the 1 cent, 2 cent and 5 cent coins.
2.    Task 2 was not as easy as task 1. After looking at the letter for such a short time I was only able to remember J - S I S H - P H - H E - F D W S because I try to make words.
3.    I was able to complete Task 3 because the letters were arranged into words so it made it easy to remember all the letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment